Everyone loves carrot cake but it is so much more fun in cupcake form! These Carrot Cake Cupcakes have the traditional carrot cake flavors; the grated carrots add fiber and make the cupcakes super moist. The coconut cream cheese icing is dairy free, but you would never know! The sprinkles don’t contain any dye or chemicals, can you guess what they are? Keep reading to discover my super secret ingredients.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Prep time: 15min
Inactive prep time: 30min
Cook time: 25min
Serving size: 12 cupcakes
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup raw cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ cup grapeseed oil
1 cup milk alternative
1 tsp pure vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups grated carrot (4 small carrots)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line muffin pan with extra large baking cups.
- Mix all dry ingredients together with a spoon.
- Whisk wet ingredients together until frothy.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until mixed, then fold in the grated carrots.
- Pour the batter into the baking cups, filling them 1-2cm from the top of the baking cup. Cook for 25min or until the tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 30 min, then ice them with the Coconut Cream Cheese icing below.
Coconut Cream Cheese Icing
½ cup coconut oil at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla
½ tsp Himalayan salt
2 cups golden cane sugar (processed into icing sugar)
½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp milk alternative, as required
½ a carrot
- The coconut oil should be a buttery consistency at room temperature, if it is too runny put it in the fridge for a minute or two. Cream the coconut oil, vanilla, salt and icing sugar together.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix. Slowly add the milk until the desired consistency is reached at room temperature. The coconut oil will liquefy at 24°C, so to ensure the proper consistency is reached, prepare the filling in the same temperature it will be served in, adjusting the consistency by adding milk or additional icing sugar.
- Spread the Coconut Cream Cheese Icing on the cooled Carrot Cake Cupcakes using a knife or piping bag.
- To make the sprinkles, process half of a carrot until you get little sprinkle like pieces of carrot and sprinkle them over the iced cupcakes.
What did you think of this recipe and making cupcake sized carrot cakes? Leave a comment below! Be sure to share the love and share this recipe so we can all eat healthy and feel fabulous! For step by step pictures and nutritious information about the ingredients used in this recipe, check out Out To Lunch Creations.