Back in October while looking through my CSA crate I realized it was going to be a squash-heavy week. Thus it became Super Squash Week! Check out my website for more delicious squash recipes with fabulous pictures: thesweetlifeonline.com.
I was very excited to find a butternut squash in my crate this week. I have been anticipating it for some time now for this very reason: Curried Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup.
Curried Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop vegetables.
- In a large pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic and ginger and saute for another minute until fragrant. Add curry powder stirring together until onions are evenly coated. Stir in squash and carrots and once mixed, add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until squash and carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow soup to cool.
- Once cool, blend in a food processor or blender until smooth (you may need to do this in two batches).
- Return to soup pot, season with salt and pepper and reheat to desired temperature. Garnish with fresh ground pepper, cilantro sprigs, or a dollop of vegan sour cream.
Do you have an all-time favorite soup? A go-to recipe? I love butternut squash soup. For me it’s up there on my favourite list with potato leek, borscht, chili and corn chowder. If you liked this recipe, be sure to share it with friends, family and coworkers, using the Facebook and Twitter links below. I also have more great recipes and pictures on my site: thesweetlifeonline.com.