Some things just work so well together, like peanut butter and jam or chocolate with anything. Well, I have a new pairing that works just like an old classic, sweet potato and avocado. No matter which way you slice it, these two were made for each other. So if you want your taste buds to sing, you should definitely try this kale salad out because not only is it delicious, it’s also loaded with some great ingredients that are super healthy too.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A in particular as well as vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B5 and B6. They also contain a good amount of fiber which helps control blood sugar levels as well as steadies digestion at the same time. That extremely high amount of beta carotenes in sweet potatoes also makes them a popular antioxidant food which is another good reason to incorporate more of them into your diet.
Health Benefits of Avocado:
Avocados contain a high level of monounsaturated fat, which puts it in the same type of category as olives. This monounsaturated fat provides many health benefits such as cardiovascular support, blood sugar control and satiety. They are also really high in fibre and all of the B vitamins which help with energy production and stress management.
Put the two together and…
One of the best things about this salad is the combination of the avocado with kale due to the improved absorption of carotenoids from eating these two together. So you see they not only go together so well solely based on taste alone, they are nutritionally beneficial when combined as well!
What’s up with Nutritional Yeast?
Last, the nutritional yeast that forms a part of the dressing is a great ingredient to keep in your pantry as not only does it impart a cheesy flavour it also has a wide array of nutritional benefits as well. Similar to avocados, it also contains B vitamins as well as some important trace minerals like selenium and zinc. You can purchase nutritional yeast from health food stores and use it as a topping on homemade popcorn, sprinkled on avocado toast or in pasta as an alternative to cheese.
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (washed, dried and sliced thin)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large avocado
- Handful of pecans (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Chili flakes (to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice up your sweet potatoes and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper and a tsp of avocado oil (or other high heat oil).
- Bake the sliced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 10-12 minutes per side.
- Wash and dry the lacinato kale and slice thinly in strips.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Add the dressing to your kale and massage it into the leaves (use your hands).
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool before adding them to your salad along with the cubed avocado and chopped pecans.