Spring is in the air!! This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love watching everything come to life after a long winter. The colors of the flowers, the fullness of the trees with leaves on them, and the smell of fresh cut grass. It’s all wonderful and alive! In my house, with the change of the season comes the opportunity to “cleanse”. I’m not just talking about cleansing the body, although spring is a fantastic time to do that as well. Spring brings the opportunity to cleanse my house too!
Every year when spring comes I take the opportunity to go through my entire house and clean it from top to bottom. I go through those drawers that random objects get thrown in throughout the year and purge what’s not needed. I go through my closet and give away clothing I no longer wear. Most important, I fully cleanse my kitchen to get it ready for the warmer months ahead.
I thought I would undress my 10 tips for spring cleaning your kitchen. I find this process helps kick-start a healthy spring and summer. Sexy bikini ready bodies, here we come!!!
10 Tips For Spring Cleaning Your Kitchen
- Use up or throw away any food that is past it’s best.
- Clean out your pantry.
- If you have multiple packages of one thing on the go – consolidate them.
- Consider putting open bags of beans, grains, nuts, etc into glass jars so they are easy to see and look less cluttered. This also helps to prevent insects from getting at them.
- Any food that has been sitting there longer than it should – get rid of it.
- Throw away any unhealthy packaged food that may look tasty but you know is not going to be doing any good for your sexy spring body.
- Rinse out your garbage/recycling bin.
- Reorganize your drawers/cupboards. This only really needs to be done once a year and spring is the perfect time to do it. If your kitchen is organized you will feel more excited to be in it!
- Wipe down your kitchen (including fridge, drawers, cupboards, sink, counters, etc.) – I recommend Pink Solution for a cleaning product. I use it for everything in my house (including laundry!).
- Stock your fridge with delicious spring vegetables like arugula, asparagus, fiddle heads, spring onions, parsley, etc. Spring is a great time of year to start including lighter dishes, and fresh salads.
- Stock up your pantry with healthy foods for spring. Some of my favourites are:
- Eden chickpeas – they are BPA-free. I always have a few cans at the house to be able to make a quick batch of hummus. Great for dipping fresh veggies into for a quick snack and using on a wrap with fresh grilled vegetables.
- Healthy good quality olive oil for drizzling on vegetables and salads
- A healthy protein powder for adding a boost to your fresh green smoothies
- Quinoa – it’s light and rich in protein. A great option for a side dish, or to add protein to salads.
- Healthy crackers – I love Mary’s Crackers. They are gluten-free, healthy and delicious!
- Often times all you need for a delicious spring dish is a drizzle of oil, some fresh herbs, and a sprinkling of seasoning. I love the seasoning combos from Simply Organic.
- Buy some beautiful colourful flowers to brighten up your kitchen. I recommend getting a plant that will last longer than cut flowers.
- In the winter when our windows are closed all the time the air in our house can become stale. When spring comes, open the windows and let the fresh air in! This will improve the air quality in your house and also improve your overall health.
Happy cleaning!!! I hope you enjoyed these 10 tips for spring cleaning your kitchen. In the comment section below, share with me how you felt getting your kitchen spring ready! Plus if you have any tips for kitchen spring cleaning, share those with us below. I would love to hear from you!“Image courtesy of marin / FreeDigitalPhotos.net”.