Given our own personal not-so-fun journeys with cancer and weight struggles, we’re always on the look-out for nutritional gems that target both disease prevention and weight loss. Well ladies, equip your kitchen with G-BOMBS – your ultimate kick-ass defence against cancer AND weight gain. An acronym coined by NY Times best-selling author and nutritional researcher, Joel Fuhrman, MD, ‘G-BOMBS’ refers to a group of nutrient-dense foods that fight both cancer and flab.
These nutritional powerhouses are super low in calories, chalk full of fibre, contain compounds that block fat production, literally help kill cancer cells and reduce inflammation.
According to Dr. Fuhrman, you can effortlessly stack your odds against cancer AND maintain a slim waistline by incorporating foods that have a high nutrient density level. What this means is that anti-inflammatory foods that help prevent cancer are high in nutrients but are also naturally low in calories or contain compounds to burn through unwanted flab. We love it when our choices work double time for us!
Bonus: lowering infamous inflammation has other amazing benefits like clearing your skin and balancing hormonal levels so that you can unleash utter radiance, inside and out!
So what are these nutritional gems?
We recommend incorporating at least one food from each category every day:
1) Greens – Luscious, dark leafy greens are nutritional powerhouses and utterly delicious. Kale, rapini, dandelion, beet greens, spinach, bok choy, mustard greens, Swiss chard, broccoli… the list is endless as are the benefits you will harness from eating them, including inhibiting angiogenesis (the process by which tumors acquire a blood supply). Don’t forget to eat your greens with envy…every day!
2) Beans – Along with their fellow legume BFFs (peas and lentils), beans are the most nutrient-dense carbohydrate (embrace this carb ladies!!) offering powerful blood sugar stabilization thereby preventing diabetes, food cravings, mood swings and weight gain. Plus, beans boast significant protection against many cancers, but most notably colon cancer. Slim down and optimize your health and longevity!
3) Onions – Onions, along with their delicious allium family members: leeks, garlic, shallots and scallions, pack quite a nutritional punch, while offering intense flavour-enhancement to any dish. Allium vegetables boast compounds that squash cancer cell growth and onions, in particular, contain loads of quercetin – an antioxidant that helps burn calories leading to faster weight loss.
4) Mushrooms – All varieties of these fungal treasures (yes, even those super inexpensive white button ones!) prevent DNA damage, cause cancer cell death and inhibit angiogenesis, all while providing immune-boosting vitamins and minerals.
5) Berries – Filled with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory power, berries provide cardioprotective, anti-cancer and flab-busting effects. Plus, they are sweet (naturally quelling annoying sugar cravings!), sinfully juicy and simply gorgeous on their own or in any sexySALAD or dessert.
6) Seeds – Besides being packed with fibre, protein and a myriad of antioxidants and other vitamins and minerals, nuts and seeds are high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are necessary for neurological and cardiovascular health. In addition, seeds in particular, especially flax and sesame seeds, have lignans which fight cancer. Get the skinny on fats and embrace the health-promoting and sexifying benefits of super fats found in seeds and nuts.
Want to eat more G-BOMBS? Check out our Fully Loaded Chili Recipe! It is packed full of G-BOMBS and is super delicious!!
Did you enjoy learning about G-Bombs? Help us spread the word using the social media buttons below. We will love ya for it!
At The Naked Label we love Sil and Trisha from Redefine Your Balance. They are sisters, moms, wives, and incredible wellness enthusiasts. If you love this recipe you will definitely love their site: RedefineYourBalance.com
“Image courtesy of antpkr / FreeDigitalPhotos.net”.