For years I have missed the delicious creaminess of Alfredo sauce… until now! Vegan Alfredo Pasta is a creamy gluten free gourmet dish made with nutritional yeast and cashews instead of heavy cream. The sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers in this pasta dish add a punch of flavor and the red pepper flakes add a spicy kick. Vegan Alfredo Pasta is an amazingly delicious gluten free meal that will keep you coming back for more.
Vegan Alfredo Pasta
Prep time: 20min
Cook time: 30min
Serving size: 4
1 medium red pepper or 1 cup roasted red pepper, diced
4 cups dried pasta
2 big garlic cloves
1/2 cup raw cashews or sunflower seeds
1 cup almond milk or any milk alternative
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp tamari
1 Tbsp tahini
1 Tbsp lemon juice (1/4 lemon)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp paprika
1 pinch nutmeg
½ – 1 tsp red pepper flakes to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup sundried tomatoes, diced
1 cup spinach, diced
- If you are roasting the red pepper, preheat the oven to broil. Wash the red pepper and place it whole on a baking sheet. Bake for 20min turning every 5min until all of the sides are brown/black and blistered. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10min sealed in a paper bag. When the pepper is cool enough to touch, peel off the skin and remove the seeds. Dice into 1cm squares.
- While the pepper is cooking prepare your pasta as directed on the package. Undercook the pasta slightly as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by placing the garlic and cashews in a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, tamari, tahini, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, paprika, nutmeg and red pepper flakes and pepper to taste and blend until smooth.
- Pour the spicy Vegan Alfredo Pasta sauce into a large pot and add the coconut oil (or organic butter), sundried tomatoes, red pepper and spinach. Cook for 5 min on medium until heated through and until the spinach has just wilted.
- Rinse and drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir until mixed and heated through, roughly 3min.
- Serve the Vegan Alfredo Pasta hot straight out of the pot and enjoy!
What’s your favorite creamy recipe? Leave me a comment below! Be sure to share the love and share this recipe so we can all eat healthy and feel fabulous! For step by step pictures and nutritious information about the ingredients used in this recipe, check out Out To Lunch Creations.