My life is full of many blessings. I have much for which to be grateful. Eden (my daughter). Jason (my husband). My friends and family. This short time in my life when my main responsibility is to make Eden feel loved and grow healthy. The fast approaching spring. So many blessings, indeed. And over the weekend I added one more to the list: the beet slider. Yes, Beet Sliders with Lemon Garlic Aioli is that good.
Beet Sliders with Lemon Garlic Aioli
makes 10-12 patties
*can be made gluten-free with gf buns or a lettuce wrap
12 Whole Grain Slider Buns/ Lettuce Wrap (Head lettuce or Romaine lettuce leaves)
1 bunch fresh Arugula
1/2 cup brown lentils (uncooked)
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (use potato flour to make gluten-free)
4 medium beetroot, ends trimmed
sea salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
Lemon Garlic Aoili
- Bring a medium pot filled with water to a boil. Add beets and cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, rinse and place lentils in small pot with 1 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Let lentils simmer until all the water has evaporated and lentils are soft, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile saute your onions until translucent and slightly brown. Mash lentils with a fork or potato masher until lentils are broken down. Add olive oil, sauted onions, flour, and parsley. Mix together.
- Remove tender beets from water and set aside until cool enough to touch. Remove the skins and grate the beets through a food processor. Add to the lentil mixture and mix together until well combined. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Scoop out between 1/4 – 1/3 cup beet/lentil mixture and shape it into a small patty. Drop in the pan and continue with remaining filling. Cook for about 5 minutes per side until browned and cooked all the way through.
- While the beet patties are cooking mix together the ingredients for the lemon aioli.
- Assemble and enjoy!
Note: Uncooked beet patties will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to share it with friends, family and coworkers, using the Facebook and Twitter links below. I also have more great recipes and pictures on my site thesweetlifeonline.com. Leave a quick comment below and let me know what you thought of these vegan Beet Sliders with Lemon Garlic Aioli!