Have you noticed that quinoa has become the hot food to eat lately? That is right, people have finally discovered this amazing grain like dish (quinoa is actually a seed not a grain, but has grain like properties). Today I want to share with you one of my favorite ways to prepare this delicious protein rich power food!
If you have prepared quinoa before, then this method of preparation I am about to show you might be a little different. I am soaking my quinoa for better digestion. Is this necessary? For me it is. I find it makes it easier for me to digest. I am not an expert by all means on this and have learned a lot from The Nourishing Gourmet, a wonderful site and where I learned how to properly soak quinoa. I hope you enjoy this warm breakfast porridge as much as we do!
Soaked Pecan Cinnamon Rolls Quinoa Recipe
Prep Time: 12 hours, 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 12 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp acidic medium (lemon juice, whey, apple cider vinegar, yogurt, kefir)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 oz finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- drizzle of maple syrup
- Soak 1 cup quinoa in 1 cup water and 1 tbsp of acidic medium of choice. Soak 12-24 hours. If soaking for more then 12 hours, you might want to replace the water and acidic medium after 12 hours.
- After soaking is complete, rinse quinoa very well. If you don’t rinse well enough, it could become bitter so rinse very well.
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a medium saucepan, add another cup of filtered water and 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt.
- Over high heat bring the quinoa to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low, cover dish and cook for 15 minutes.
- After cooking time is done, stir in butter, cinnamon and crushed pecans. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- To serve place in a small bowl and drizzle with some maple syrup.
If you loved this recipe, help spread the news and share it with friends, family and coworkers, using the Facebook and Twitter links below. I also have more great healthy recipes and pictures on my site wholelifestylenutrition.com. I would love to hear from you! If you enjoyed this recipe please share a comment – it makes me happy 🙂